Posts for tag: jaw pain
What your dentists in Rigby, Idaho, want you to know
If your jaw pops when you open and close your mouth, it could be nothing; however, it could also be a signal of a more serious problem. You could have temporomandibular joint problems which can affect your jaws, face, and head. Dr. Richard George and Dr. Boone Allen at Townesquare Dental in Rigby, Idaho, want to share the facts about why it can be bad if your jaw pops.
Although some occasional jaw popping is normal, you should seek out the help of an expert if you experience any of the following:
- Chronic popping and clicking noises when you open and close your mouth
- Your jaw locking in place when you open and close your mouth
- Chronic pain at your temples and around your ears
- Chronic headaches or radiating facial pain
Your temporomandibular joint is unique because of its movement. It moves by sliding, much like a hinge; in fact, it’s called a sliding hinge joint. It can move out of correct position easily, and when the movement is restricted, swelling, inflammation, and pain can happen. Over time, the joint can become damaged, causing more restricted movement and more pain. This condition is known as temporomandibular joint disorder or TMD.
It is critical to visit an expert like your dentists at Townesquare Dental before the joint becomes damaged. They will recommend effective treatments to help you with TMJ problems, including:
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medications to reduce swelling and pain
- Botox or cortisone treatment to reduce pain and swelling around the joint
- Restorative options and bite adjustments to correct your bite
- Stretching exercises to improve jaw movement
- Custom-fit night splints or bite guards to ease pressure on the joint
You don’t have to deal with jaw problems yourself. Instead, call Dr. Richard George and Dr. Boone Allen at Townesquare Dental in Rigby, Idaho. Get some help for your jaw pain by calling today!