Posts for tag: gum disease
What your dentists in Rigby want you to know
Periodontal disease can sneak up on you and unfortunately, it can cause you to lose your smile. It’s important to know how to recognize periodontal disease because if treated early, periodontal disease can be effectively managed. Dr. Richard George and Dr. Boone Allen at Townesquare Dental in Rigby, ID want to share the facts about how to recognize periodontal disease.
Periodontal disease starts out as gum disease, which can be cured by brushing and flossing after meals and before bed. You must also floss every day because brushing doesn’t clean in between your teeth where disease often starts. You can recognize gum disease by these signs and symptoms:
- Your gums bleed when you brush and floss
- Your gum tissue looks irritated and red
- Your gums appear puffy and swollen
- You experience gum pain during brushing, flossing, or eating
- You experience frequent bad breath or a sour taste in your mouth
If you can recognize gum disease early, with an excellent oral hygiene program at home and some help from the dental experts at Townesquare Dental, you can reverse gum disease and regain your healthy mouth.
If gum disease goes untreated, it may progress to periodontal disease which cannot be reversed. Periodontal disease can only be managed and maintained. When you have periodontal disease, you will experience all of the signs and symptoms of gum disease and a few more, including:
- Developing spaces or gaps between your teeth
- Teeth that are loose or painful
- A change in your bite
- Pus coming out between your gums and your teeth
- A bad odor coming from your mouth
- Gums that have receded away from the tooth surface, elongating the look of your teeth
If you think you might have gum or periodontal disease, it’s best to visit your dentist as soon as you can. Don’t wait, because your disease will only get worse. Your dentist will perform a thorough exam and take state-of-the-art x-rays to determine the level of gum and bone support you have lost. Your dentists in Rigby can then make recommendations on the best course of treatment.
Don’t ignore the signs of gum and periodontal disease. You want to keep your smile for a lifetime so call Dr. George and Dr. Allen at Townesquare Dental in Rigby, ID. Protect your smile by calling today!